List of 29 Principles
(UNTEES DHARAM KI AKHADI, HIRDYE DHARIO JOYE, JAMBHEJI KIRPA KARI, NAM BISHNOI HOYE)
- “TEES DIN SUTAK” Observe 30 days of SUTAK (state of ritual impurity) after birth and keep mother & child away from household activities.
- “PANCH RITUVANTI NIYARO” During menstrual period, keep woman away from household activities for 5 days.
- “SAIRO KARO SINAN” Take bath daily in the morning.
- “SHEEL, SANTOSH, SUCHI PIYARO” Maintain good character, be content & maintain purity & cleanliness.
- “DWI-KAL SANDHYA KARO” Pray two times a day (morning & evening).
- “SANJH AARTI GUN GAO” Sing hymn of praise to the God in the evening.
- “HOM HIT, CHIT, PREET SU HOY” Offer oblation in the holy fire (HAVAN) with feelings of welfare, devotion & love.
- “PANI, INDHAN, DUDH NE LIJE CHHAN” Use filtered water, milk and cleaned firewood to make them bacteria/insects free.
- “BANI NE LIJE CHHAN” Speak carefully (think before speak).
- “EKSHMA HIRDE DHARO” Practise forgiveness/pardon/absolution from heart.
- “DAYA HIRDE DHARO” Be compassionate/kind/merciful/sympathetic by heart.
- “CHORI BARJIYO” Stealing or using other’s thing without permission is prohibited.
- “NINDA BARJIYO” Condemnation/criticism is prohibited.
- “JHUTH BARJIYO” Tell lies/untruthfulness is prohibited.
- “BAD NA KARNO KOY” Don’t indulge in unnecessary dispute/debate/argument/controversy.
- “AMAWAS VART RAKHNO” Observe fast on AMAWAS (last day of the dark half of a month).
- “BHAJAN VISHNU BATAYO JOY” Worship & recite name of VISHNU in adoration.
- “JEEV DAYA PALANI” Be compassionate/kind/merciful to all living beings.
- “RUNKH LILA NAHI GHAVE” Don’t cut green trees.
- “AJAR JARE JEEVAT MARE” Control/burn/win over AJARs(lust, anger, ego/pride, greed, attachment/infatuation/delusion).
- “KARE RASOI HATH SU” Eat own/home cooked food. Don’t eat food cooked/kept in impure conditions.
- “AMAR RAKHAVE THAT” Provide shelters for abandoned animals so that they can complete their life with dignity and don’ get slaughtered.
- “BAIL BADHIYA NA KARAVE” Not to castrate bulls.
- “AMAL SU DUR HI BHAGE” Don’t consume or trade in opium.
- “TAMAKHU SU DUR HI BHAGE” Don’t smoke/use tobacco & its products.
- “BHANG SU DUR HI BHAGE” Don’t consume or deal in narcotics.
- “MADH SU DUR HI BHAGE” Don’t drink or deal in alcohol/liquor.
- “MANS SU DUR HI BHAGE” Don’t eat meat or other non-vegetarian food.
- “LEEL NA LAVE ANG” Don’t use violet blue colour extracted from green indigo plant.
Those who follow (from their heart) these 29 principles will be called BISHNOI.